Main contents

Japanese Government Scholarship

Embassy recommendation

Receive a recommendation to MEXT from the Japanese Embassy or Consular Office in your country. To receive a recommendation, you need to pass a primary screening conducted by the local embassy with cooperation from your country’s government. For more details, inquire at your local Japanese Embassy or Consular Office. Submit all documents between March and May.

Japanese Embassies and Consulates Websites

University recommendation

Students coming to Hokkaido University can also apply through our University. Application is made through your prospective advisor. University recommendation is only available to Graduate Level Research students. Undergraduate Students are ineligible to apply. Submit all documents to the graduate school through the supervisor willing to accept you around December(Commencement:October).

University recommendation

Hokkaido University (pre-enrolment application)

Hokkaido University, the Special Grant Program for Self-Supported International Students is for prospective international students seeking Doctoral degrees. Applicants are eligible to apply to become Research Assistants and have their tuition fees waived. To obtain this special grant, applicants must have excellent academic records and be able to prove how their research can contribute internationally in their chosen field.

Hokkaido University Funded Scholarships

Private Scholarships

Although highly competitive, there are a variety of scholarships that students can apply for after arriving in Japan.

Private Scholoarships

“Like”our Facebook page

Visit our Facebook!